Friday, April 21, 2006

DeFalco's



About a month ago, I was saved. There is a problem in the Phoenix area. The place is growing so fast that rents are going through the roof; and so many big businesses are coming here that it has been more and more difficult for local business owners to survive. Since moving here, several times I have tried to visit places that were supposed to have great authentic Italian food, and several times I have been just weeks too late. Then one Thursday, I was driving on Scottsdale Road, and I passed a building I'd never before noticed. Its sign said, "DeFalco's Italian Grocery and Deli."

I turned around. It was late, and I didn't have time to eat much. I ordered a shot of espresso. E' state Buonissimo! I went home happy.

In the weeks following, I have discovered that DeFalco's serves other-worldly sandwiches. You can get the hot or mild italian sausage with red sauce and roasted peppers and onions sandwich on a crusty baguette, with a side of pasta salad and prosciutto-stuffed peppers, with a Pellegrino, for example (this would probably run you about $15). Or you can just get a half cheese steak with hod Giardinara peppers added and drink water for about $5.50. That's more realistic for lunch most days. Let me emphasize that these sandwiches are sooooooooooooooooooooooo good.

Now every Friday, I go there for lunch with my good friend Jean-Phillipe Bellier (JP is from France, and misses old-world cuisine).

So if you're ever in the Phoenix area, pay DeFalco's a visit. And if you already live here, I expect your duty is clear by now.

The worst thing about DeFalco's is that they don't open early enough for me to get my morning coffee there. I'll have to work on that with them.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Nadine said...

"Other-worldly sandwiches" ??! This place sounds awesome. Kudos to you for giving them good press. I like reading about food- especially if it is enough reminiscent of the old world to give a frenchman relief from his homesickness ;o)

April 22, 2006  
Blogger Allan Friesen said...

Yes. It is very nice. If you're ever in Scottsdale, you should try it. You're planning a vacation in Scottsdale, right?

April 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home