Sunday, July 02, 2006

evolution


I'm enjoying a very nice pinot noir tonight. My friend Sochetra gave it to me for my birthday. I opened it two days ago. On the first night it was fine. Nothing wrong with it, but kind of closed, and a bit more harsh than I'm used to with pinot. But still, it was good. It tasted like I'd opened it a year early, frankly; and if that was as good as it was going to get, I would have given it maybe 87 or 88 points. Not bad, but not exciting.

I tried it again last night, and the wine had opened up dramatically! All of a sudden there were aromas of caramel and cinnamon; flavours of strawberry, orange, nice oak, good subtle tannins. I was quite surprised. I've never seen so dramatic a change in a wine. It went from one-dimensional and a bit harsh to supple, rich and complex overnight!

Now it is on day three. All the same great flavours are there, but the feel has gotten perfectly silky, just the way a good pinot noir should be. So if you have a 2003 Domaine Serene Evenstad Reserve Pinot Noir sitting around waiting to be opened (and I'm quite sure you don't, but just in case), please let it decant for an hour. It's well worth the wait. 93 points.

1 Comments:

Blogger Allan Friesen said...

Steven, I don't need any of your funadmentalist lip! The fossil record clearly shows:

beer-->monkeys-->wine

July 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home