Saturday, July 08, 2006

huh?

I feel really loved today. A couple months ago, I was a day late on a credit card payment, and I got charged $39 AND I had to pay a finance charge on the carried balance. I figured it was my fault though. There was really no reason why I was late, except I was thinking I'd paid it, and I hadn't. So I didn't bother to call and argue about it. Last month then, I payed off the whole balance, including the finance charge and late fee. Then a few days ago, I got a bill with ANOTHER finance charge...why was I getting charged interest when I paid my whole balance, on time?

So today, I called CitiBank. I asked the friendly lady, who spoke English no foreign accent, why I was getting charged when I paid my whole balance. She explained it had something to do with an average balance on the card...I didn't understand, but before I was able to get to the bottom of it, she said, "and I'll go ahead and give you a courtesy credit for that finance charge." I hadn't even argued with her! When I acted really surprised, she said that they don't mind doing that, so we [the customers] can be educated on how the finance charges are calculated...even though I never really got educated...just confused.

Then she volunteered the information that normally if you're late on a payment, if you call and explain you just forgot or were busy or whatever, they'll cancel the late fee. I said I wished I'd known that. She canceled the late fee from two months ago, even though it was completely my fault, and I'd admitted that! She even canceled the interest!

I mean, ethically, it really is the right thing to do, you know; be nice to people when they make silly mistakes, instead of taking advantage of them. But I generally don't expect that from big businesses these days; especially without a fight. But I didn't even argue about anything, and it is all as if I'd never made the mistake! I'm impressed, and I'm taking this opportunity to put in a plug for CitiBank. They treat you like you're human!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like spaghetti!

July 14, 2006  
Blogger Allan Friesen said...

Steven, what the heck are you talking about? We both know you're allergic to spaghetti!

July 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, yeah, I forgot about that allergy. I like meatballs.

August 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

shurrup

August 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home