Saturday, April 21, 2007

some recent results from my kitchen

The photos are in reverse chronological order, because every time I post a photo, blogger puts it at the top of the manuscript, regardless of where my cursor is. It wasn't always like that.



seared fillet mignon over butter lettuce with mint and carrot yogurts, Burgundy mustard and creamy balsamic vinaigrette; pita bread and hummus. this meal would have been a starchless disaster, but my sister pointed out that since I already had mint in the refrigerator I could make hummus. thanks A!




stew







toast, marmalade, cappuccino







"Thai jambalaya" (anyone know a better name for this?)







liguine with lemon goat cheese sauce. I didn't have time to sit around and wait for a roux to thicken, so I used an egg yolk as an emulsifier. it actually worked pretty well. the wine is a cheap Burgundy I got at Trader Joe's; it was a lot better than I expected.







NASCAR food: stuffed jalapenos with homemade ranch dip and anchor steam in a frosty mug







sausage sandwich (idea ripped off from defalco's)







fried eggs







a more adventurous way to eat eggs. the coffee is not a prime example. I think it's from the melita.







pasta rustica with tomato sauce. I actually didn't care for these pasta from Coppola. They didn't cook well, because they have a thick core and thin pieces sticking out, so they turned out really uneven. But the sauce was good.







cinnamon toast breakfast







espresso with cream







Peet's Arabian mocha java (this is not an espresso drink and there is no steamed milk. The frothiness is a result of convection and deposition processes involving chilled heavy cream and fine sediment from the press pot brewing technique.)







rigatoni with fresh herbs and Oregon white truffles







nacho night







liguine with capers, anchovy and fresh basil; Kim Crawford marl. sauv. blan.







breakfast alla Zanzibar's Coffee Adventure (sub berry jam for marmalade)







liguine with capers, sausage with carrots







thick cut "Iowa" chop with green beans, mashers and pear sauce

4 Comments:

Blogger ATF said...

My suggestion for the Thai Jambalaya: sai grok pet johk

literally: spicy sausage rice porridge

I appreciate the way you displayed all your food; nice attention to detail. My favorites are the stuffed jalapenos, the creative egg dish, and seared fillet.

May 07, 2007  
Blogger Allan Friesen said...

Are you SURE you didn't mean to write sai grok ped johk? That's how I've always written spicy sausage rice porridge in Thai. Thanks for the suggestion, since that's exactly what it is. I'll change it on my menu.

May 07, 2007  
Blogger Charlie Conner said...

Hi Big Al,
I found your and Aaron's blogs via Google.

Thanks for coming to The Big Bake to visit. We had a fun time together with the Fun Friesen Family.

I don't see a photo of "pasties" or what ever it's called. :(

We'll in touch. Love, Uncle Charlie, Bakersphield

July 23, 2007  
Blogger Allan Friesen said...

We had a great time with you too! Sorry to disappoint you, but pasties is not yet part of my repertoire.
-Al in feeniks

July 24, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home