Sunday, April 15, 2007

taxes

Taxes are due in two days. It was one day, but (thankfully) they moved it from Monday the 16th to Tuesday the 17th. I think they did this just for me. I need help with my taxes, and I can't call for help today (Sunday). That means I'll be finishing up tomorrow and mailing them on the 17th. Actually, I'll try to finish a day early and get them out on the 16th, but I might not make it.

My situation is confusing. I live in Arizona right now, but I have intended to move back to Oregon as soon as I finish my PhD. So I have kept my Oregon driver's license and residence. I haven't registered to vote in AZ, either.

I thought I had all this solved. I just have to fill out AZ form 309 which lets me use my Oregon taxes as an Arizona credit. You see, the Oregon tax guide says that Oregon taxes ALL income on a full-year resident, regardless of where it was earned. Since Oregon taxes are higher than AZ taxes, this would mean my AZ taxes would be zero, after the credit for tax paid to another state.

However, when I started filling out my Oregon return, I realized no income had been withheld for Oregon. So I would send a BIG check to Oregon, then get a (not as) big check back from AZ. I thought, "That can't be right."

Finally, I found the following section in the Oregon tax manual:

Special-case Oregon residents. If you are an Oregon resident and you meet all of the following conditions, you are considered a nonresident for tax purposes.

* You are an Oregon resident who maintained a permanent home outside Oregon the entire year, and
* You did not keep a home in Oregon during any part of 2006, and
*You spent less than 31 days in Oregon during 2006.

That applies to me, so it looks like I am saved.

Note: If you read and enjoyed this entire post, you may also enjoy this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home